Goal: Find out about the flyway of the lesser spotted eagle using Google Earth.
The pupils should learn about the different landscapes the eagle crosses on its way and categories them. In addition to that they should learn how to use computer technology to gather and process data.
What you need:
- Enough computers for the groups
- internet access
- Google Earth + NDVI (*.kmz-files)
- GoogleEarth Tutorial
- Basic facts about the lesser spotted eagle (brochure, Wikipedia etc.)
- Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI)
2. Pupils’ tasks
- Find and mark the breeding and hibernation grounds.
- Find a likely flyway.
- Categories the landscapes the eagle crosses and examine the seasonal shifts in vegetation.
- Export the findings in a *.kmz-File
- Present and compare the group results.
- Compare the results with scientific results.
Idea by: Caroline Kraas, Karsten Strätz, Kerstin Voß (Fernerkundung in Schulen)
German description and materials (e.g. *.kmz-files): http://www.fis.uni-bonn.de
English materials: Biologie_LesserSpottedEagle.zip